26 (Cents Sign) | The Wilkinsons Lyrics, Meaning & Videos

The Wilkinsons Lyrics

Jump to: Overall Meaning ↴  Line by Line Meaning ↴(Steve Wilkinson/William Wallace)

She sat alone on a bus out of Beaumont
The courage of just 18 years
A penny and quarter were taped to a letter
And momma's goodbye in her ears

She watched as her high school faded behind her

And the house with the white picket fence
Then she read the note that her momma had wrote
Wrapped up with 26 cents

When you get lonely, call me
Anytime at all and I'll be there with you, always
Anywhere at all
There's nothing I've got that I wouldn't give
And money is never enough
Here's a penny for your thoughts
A quarter for the call
And all of your momma's love

A penny and a quarter buys a whole lot of nothing
Taped to an old wrinkled note
And when she didn't have much she had all momma's love
Inside that old envelope

Anywhere at all
A quarter for the call

Oh its been years since momma's been gone
But when she holds the coins she feels her love just as strong

When you get lonely, call

Overall Meaning

me
Anywhere at all
A quarter for the call

The lyrics of The Wilkinsons's song 26 tells a heartfelt story of a young woman leaving her home for the first time to embark on a new journey. Her mother's farewell note only has 26 cents, a penny and a quarter taped to it, showing financial struggles. However, the note is filled with love and support for her daughter as she journeys into the unknown. The lyrics describes the courage and bravery it takes for a young person to leave home, but also how the emotional support from a parent can be the strength needed during these times of transition.

The song's emotional weight is carried by the simplicity of the lyrics and the music. There is a rawness to the story that is enhanced by the stripped-back accompaniment, which mainly consists of an acoustic guitar and sparse instrumentation. It is a song that speaks to the heart and shows how even the smallest gestures of love and compassion can have a tremendous impact on someone's life.

Line by Line Meaning

She sat alone on a bus out of Beaumont
As she left Beaumont all by herself, she mustered up the courage that comes with being only 18.

The courage of just 18 years
At 18, a person is young but able to make bold and fearless moves in life.

A penny and quarter were taped to a letter
The little amount of money in the envelope next to the letter showed how little money her mother had to her name but she scraped together to give whatever she could.

And momma's goodbye in her ears
The words of her mother's farewell still ringing in her head perhaps, full of love and support.

She watched as her high school faded behind her
The writer depicts leaving high school and all its memories far, far behind as you embark on the next chapter of your life.

And the house with the white picket fence
The archetypal American Dream; leaving that behind may imply the character is moving away from one's comfort-zone.

Then she read the note that her momma had wrote
The message that her mother had written was both warming and encouraging in equal measures, having wrapped it up with 26 cents.

Wrapped up with 26 cents
The gift of love and hope was more important than the monetary value of the few cents attached.

The mother knew that her daughter would be lonely at some point along the journey and encouraged her to reach out for support.

Her mother would always be there for her, no matter where she goes or what time of day it was.

Anywhere at all
Wherever her daughter was, her mother would always be there for her. Geography meant little.

Her mother was willing to give anything and everything to support her daughter when called upon.

Money should not be the sole criteria for successful parenting, love and emotional support are just as important.

Giving away a penny to sum up the pleasure of those thoughts that were running through her daughter's mind.

A quarter for the call
Even a quarter would pay for the phone-call so that she knew his daughter was well and also to maintain constant contact.

All of her momma's love and affection was inside that old envelope, reminding her that she was never alone.

A penny and a quarter buys a whole lot of nothing
There isn't much her mother could afford to give her daughter, but the little she managed to offer, carried the same emotional value as any material gift.

Taped to an old wrinkled note
It was just an old note with coins, but to that daughter it was a connection to her mother and a reminder of her love.

And when she didn't have much she had all momma's love
Even without much wealth or treasure by her side, the daughter still held onto the enduring love and care of her mother.

Oh its been years since momma's been gone
Years have gone by since the mother departed but the daughter's memories of her are still fresh and raw.

But when she holds the coins she feels her love just as strong
Despite her mother's physical absence, her daughter feels an emotional connection when she holds the pennies and the quarter, which are tangible remainders of her mother's love.

When you get lonely, call
At any point in her life when she is destabilized by events or is lonely and feeling isolated, her mother's words will never waiver.

Lyrics © Warner Chappell Music, Inc.
Written by: STEVE WILKINSON, WILLIAM WALLACE

Lyrics Licensed & Provided by LyricFind

To comment on or correct specific content, highlight it

ncG1vNJzZmirn6O2pLTIrapnm5%2BifLe1w56maIyYmqyYtcukoKern6PAcH6VmF98nZ6pwKCfyKClYg%3D%3D